[Design-team] Different Backgrounds for the Lock Screen vs the desktop

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 19 16:07:24 UTC 2013

On 09/19/2013 11:36 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> I've been a Gnome users since days of the helixcode and this is Gnome
> and we are not ashamed or trying to hide that fact under the label
> "Desktop" and this is done right and out of respect towards the
> community and in accordance with how the other DE as it should have been
> done from the start.

It's GNOME if you're using the upstream GNOME, but I think your
intention to not use it as upstream ships it is pretty clear in which
case using GNOME from a trademark point of view is problematic.

> What is, what always has been and always will be wrong is to have
> something called "Desktop" or "Default Desktop", "Default Workstation"
> quite frankly it is and and always has been dictated by RH what it is
> and will clearly be continued to do so since all the RH employees had
> signed up to the WG nomination page before the community even knew of
> it's existence.

You shouldn't assign responsibility for that to Red Hat. You can assign
it to me and the Fedora board. We made the call to have a single default
download on the website, and we call it the 'Fedora Desktop' or 'Default
Desktop' on www.fedoraproject.org rather than 'GNOME Desktop.' This was
as per the board's goals to make Fedora easier to consume from the
website. We didn't want the jargon of desktop environment names making
Fedora harder to understand and download.

You can read all about how this happened and the details here:
http://iquaid.org/2013/09/04/defining-self-identity-for-an-open-source-project-how-did-fedora-do-it/comment-page-1/#comment-7254

> The fact is that we have 7 other desktop environments which community
> members are working on and just been cause they are not part of the Red
> Hat desktop team or not being paid to work on their desktop environment
> and do not suffer from the Gnome tunnel vision they do and should get
> equal presentation and equal opportunity to advance themselves with in
> our community.

Don't they already all have their own SIGs and spins already? So what is
the problem exactly here?

> And if something should be done in our upcoming changes it would be to
> kill the default desktop, merge the desktop list with gnome list and
> give the Gnome community the freedom instead of tying their hands
> "generic default" which does not work for anybody or proxy control them
> through FESCO decision.

The way you're structuring your rhetoric here is concerning. The GNOME
community of developers are right here on this list telling you they
don't understand why you are making a GNOME list, so who are you
intending to 'free?'

> There the Gnome developers could keep the "traditional spin" going while
> the Gnome community members have the tools to play around without
> interfering with that ( which is what I'm currently working towards )
> because in the end of the day they will need a vibrant community
> surrounding themselves if they are going to pass their own release
> testing matrix.

What is the difference between 'GNOME developers' and 'GNOME community
members' in your own words? Maybe that's where I'm having trouble
following you?

~m