Thoughts about Fedora 21 Desktop

Peter Laursen jazcyk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 19:44:06 UTC 2014

"the suggestion was just that *if you do create a
user account during install*, it should be an admin by default.
basically, change the default state of the checkbox on the user creation
spoke."
..was exactly what  meant (don't forget that I started this discussion! :-)
)

But if there is room in the installer interface I'd suggest too that
"Administrator" could change to something like (compromise!) "Administrator
(sudo'er and member of the 'wheel' admin user group)" or similar.

-- Peter

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Adam Williamson <adamwill at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 08:15 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>
> > So I think a strong need remains for having a real root account on
> > systems that are domain-enabled.
>
> this was thread creep. There was no suggestion that creation of an admin
> user be *required* - the suggestion was just that *if you do create a
> user account during install*, it should be an admin by default.
> basically, change the default state of the checkbox on the user creation
> spoke.
>
> personally I can't really see it as terribly important either way, if
> people aren't going to read the darn screen I don't know what to do for
> them, and anaconda does require that you at least *either* set a root
> password *or* create an admin account, you can't lock yourself out of
> admin privileges. But I wanted to point out that this was a
> misunderstanding and sent the thread spinning OT.
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin . net
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

Hilsen / Regards

Peter Laursen