No screen shield in login screen in F20

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 13 13:28:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 01:52:40AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The shield is something I have always considered to be pointless and
> > confusing to new users. I teach Linux at a local college and when we use
> > Fedora, I always have to explain the shield. For some reasons the shield is
> > confusing to them.
> You're not explaining it well then, because a lot of your students will
> already have seen similar screens on their mobile phones or tablets.

That's the theory, but if new users aren't getting it intuitively -- and
there is repeated, even if anecdotal, evidence that that's the case -- then
blaming them doesn't help *us*. Something clearly needs to change in the
design.

> > For me its just utterly pointless. I have yet to get an explanation as to
> > why its there. It just adds another step in logging in to my machine.
> I suggest you look at the discussions on fedora-devel list about this
> same topic.

That will yield basically the same results -- people who were confused, or
saw other people confused, or don't see the point, occasionally answered by
statements that nothing will change.

So that doesn't seem to be very constructive. I think that's really
unfortunate -- this is clearly one of those points of user interface pain
that it would be to our benefit to address.