Fedora board vote and way forward

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 24 19:57:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 2:12 PM, John Dulaney
<jdulaney at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Riddle me this:
>
> If all you ever do is ignore the community you claim to be part of, then how are you
> actually a part of the community?  It seems to me that ignoring the rest of the Fedora
> community is not the way to be part of that community.
>
> Seriously, who do you think you are to ignore the decisions of the governing bodies of
> that community?  Such massive arrogance just baffles me; are you all seriously on such
> and ego trip that you think that your way is the only way?

You sent this to a mailing list with no explicit CCs.  I'm not sure
who "you" is in your questioning.  There are quite a few people on
this list.  Some of them, including myself, have recently subscribed
because of the Workstation Working Group, which is a new effort we're
just getting started.  The WG is trying hard to work with the
community and through the processes set by FESCo and the Board.

If you would like to address specific people, please do so by emailing
them directly.

> I admit that it confounds me as to why Fedora still considers Gnome to be a release
> blocking desktop.  I am going to propose that as a feature of Fedora 21 that Gnome
> be dropped as a release blocker and be replaced with xfce.  This move would also

Please do!  I encourage all contributors to put effort behind the
changes they'd like to see made.

> dovetail nicely with ARM's status as a primary architecture, since the Gnome devs
> don't see fit to even bother making their software work on ARM.

I don't have insight as to what you're talking about on this part, but
if you have list or bug links that would be helpful.  I'm sure you're
aware that most existing ARM boards lack suitable video drivers and
GNOME3 makes extensive use of accelerated video.  Forcing the GNOME
developers to solve a lack of hardware support seems a bit unfair.

josh