So are we skipping a gnome release?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 09:30:18 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Elad Alfassa <elad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> GNOME 3.12 is due to be released in March, but as I understood there won't
> >> be another Fedora release before August. So what's the plan? Are we going
> >> skip GNOME 3.12 entirely? I would much rather if we could (for a lack of a
> >> better term) ignore the fedora package update guidelines and provide 3.12
> >> for F20 when it's released.
> >>

> > Speaking personally, I'd like it if we could ship 3.12 as an update - if it
> > doesn't have any really big surprises, compared to 3.10, I'll have to go
> > back and check - and ship 3.14 with f21, getting back on our nice old
> > 'cadence' (sorry, couldn't resist...) with GNOME.
>
> If we are going to do that we should wait for 3.12.1 (end of April) to
> get some testing (ex. in rawhide) and bugs fixed in the mean time.

This is the way how we handle KDE Plasma Workspaces updates - we wait for
some time for .1/.2 release, it's tested in side repository, then it goes to
updates-testing, no autokarma. FESCo granted this exception.

It works pretty well now but yes, KDE4 is in maintenance mode now, so
underlying bits changes are limited now, only apps are being worked on. But
we do it this way forever - in the very beginning of 4.x era it caused some
troubles but it was the must - as the first releases were pretty broken.

Jaroslav