FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 15:17:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 12:46 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As noted last week, FESCo deferred approval of the Workstation PRD
> because they had some questions.  Below are the questions they've come
> up with thus far.
>
> 1) How does the Fedora Design Team play into the standardization work?
>
> This is in reference to the "Work towards standardizing and unifying
> the Linux desktop space" bullet.  Specifically, the theme part IIRC.

Here is my take on 'standardization vs theme':

The standardization that I want to see here is that there should be an
expectation that applications work well with a small number of themes:
- the desktop theme
- its dark variant (if relevant for the app)
- the high-contrast theme used for accessibility
To get there, we need to make sure that there are high-quality qt
implementations of these themes.

I also want to improve the robustness of the current theme setup.
Applications should be able to rely on the presence of symbolic icons.
Currently, if you happen to 'lose' the gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
package, things just look broken. I guess you can consider that
standardization on the icon naming spec + symbolic variants.

Lastly, we are working towards replacing the motif-y default theme in
GTK+ with Adwaita. But that is more relevant for the Windows and OS X
ports of GTK+ than for the Fedora desktop.