Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Jan 31 13:25:53 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> That is a good question and there is always the risk of 'overloading' the app
> with to many purposes.
> That said in the next version there will be support for installing fonts,
> codecs and ibus methods, so
> there is some precedence for installing things that is technically not an
> 'application'.
>
> Hopefully some of the designers can chime in on this, I mean we could also
> considering putting this functionality
> somewhere else than the application installer if the designers thinks that is
> a better option.

I think creating a UI for this isn't one bit useful. It would probably be better served
by separate spins (which joins up with the discussions currently on fedora-devel).

I mean, where would we stop for this? Allow changing the display manager from the UI?
Making sure that those desktops can actually work with Wayland when GNOME and gdm
switches to that?

It would severely limit the changes we can make to the workstation product, having it
block on the non-primary desktops, a current problem we're trying to solve.