default filesystem

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 3 13:35:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 08:34:26PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > btrfs is still where we really want to go, I kind of think we should avoid
> > the churn of swapping in one similar thing for another. (Since RHEL7 has
> > already forked, that ship has sailed.) We talked about having btrfs/xfs
> > filesystem talks at Flock -- is waiting until then too late to decide?
> Are we really going to repeat the whole conversation we already had
> around this earlier in the week?
[...]
> So.  I'd like to crap or get off the pot now.  This is supposedly due
> Monday, but every time someone insists I revisit it, it's going to
> take that much longer.  Do you have something new we've missed?

I did read all of that, and sorry if I'm being obtuse. I think it really
makes a difference if we still intend for btrfs to be the default in the
medium term (not just in hopeful thinking). If that is the case for
workstation but server still wants XFS even then, there doesn't seem to be
any point in bothering with consistency now since it won't be consistent in
a little bit anyway. On the other hand, if server does want to go with btrfs
and relatively soon, and again if consistency is important, I'd like to push
back on *server's* decision.

Or in matrix form:

                  Consistency         Consistency
                  Valuable          Not Important
Btrfs      | All products should | Workstation should    |
actually   | stay with ext4      | probably stay ext4;   |
ready soon |                     | cloud definitely will |
           | All products should | Whatever              |
Btrfs more | switch to XFS       |                       |
than 3*    |                     |                       |
years out  |                     |                       |

* where "3" is an arbitrary number higher than 2; exact value tbd