default filesystem

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 3 17:41:03 UTC 2014

On Mar 3, 2014, at 10:08 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Quite frankly, I am pretty sure LVM has no place on non-servers, and should
>> not be offered by the desktop installer.
>
> The server use-cases could be questioned as well. The ones presented so far have been specialized cases.

Sure. Plain ext4 would in fact boot a server just as well as it does cloud and in some sense is more reliable as ext4 is baked into the kernel, unlike XFS or LVM.

> If you care about zero-down time or redundancy then you need RAID (hardware or MDADM).

This could be made easier. Manual Partitioning doesn't really help build this, you really have to know what you're doing.

On UEFI, it's semi-broken in that degraded booting isn't possible to configure within the installer's Manual Partitioning panel: it doesn't auto-create (or make it feasible to manually create) the mandatory EFI System partitions on every drive, we don't install the boot loader to each ESP, and we put the grub.cfg in the ESP which is the wrong place. Presumably hot-swap drives are a given, and degraded boots aren't a top priority but…

Chris Murphy