unoconv in F20 gained dependency on strange GUI applications

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 08:18:45 UTC 2014

On 5 March 2014 01:44, Lars Seipel <lars.seipel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have a suggestion on how to improve unoconv packaging?

Yes. Either split the GUI applications (the /usr/bin/binary and the
.desktop file) as a separate subpackage or split off the libraries
themselves as a -libs subpackage. Installing some addon for
gnome-documents that installs two non-removable *ugly* applications in
the software center is totally broken.

> Looking at how similar cases (e.g. archiver frontends needing tar or
> gzip for their work) are handled throughout the repo doesn't show a
> clear pattern.

The analogy here would be if installing .zip support installed two
ugly GUI apps. That's clearly not right, and if this isn't reverted in
F20 I'll have no choice to blacklist the chainsaw and LogFactor5
applications from the software center.

Richard.