arm support of workstation product

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 20:03:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-07 at 19:49 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 02:43:10PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > I won't speak for the rest of the WG as a whole, but in the few
> > conversations I've had with people ARM wasn't something most thought
> > was a target for Workstation.  It might be feasible for interested
> > people to produce Workstation ARM images, but I would be surprised if
> > that were made a requirement at this point.
>
> There's ARM hardware that is, at least theoretically, capable of running
> Workstation and has the kind of form factor for which Workstation is
> probably the appropriate product. As long as the ARM team are willing to
> take responsibility for ensuring drivers and install media work, and as
> long as there's someone doing QA, it seems like something we should
> support in an official sense.

I think it's reasonable to plan for its inclusion For The Future. From
what I hear from dgilmore I'm not sure making it an official arch for
F21 would be a great idea, but it seems sensible to keep it in mind for
future inclusion while we're implementing the initial design. It
certainly seems like workstation/desktop-class ARM hardware is a thing
that's happening: there already are ARM-based systems probably powerful
enough to run Workstation, the Utilite, the ARM Chromebooks. We don't
have all the bits in place to support them *yet*, but it certainly seems
like we will, and it seems reasonable to assume others will follow where
they lead.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey