[RFC] non-KVM graphics/IO drivers in our default install media

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 3 11:41:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I wanted to get some feedback as to whether it would be
> acceptable/desirable to add whatever available graphics and IO drivers
> available for the most common hypervisors out there other than
> KVM/Spice.
>
> My idea is that it should be possible to run Fedora Workstation in any
> desktop virtualization solution out of the box as long as the drivers
> are acceptable for us in terms of licensing. So VirtualBox is the
> easiest shot, and a pretty popular one on Windows and Mac users as it's
> (mostly) FOSS and free of charge, but it'd be nice if we could add
> others like Parallels or VMWare (I am investigating the
> availability/licensing situation of those as we speak).
>
> I would appreciate any feedback or concerns about this proposal.
>
> --
> Greetings,
> Alberto Ruiz
> Engineering Manager - Desktop Applications Team
> Red Hat, Inc.
>

> --

Hi Alberto.

We already ship open-vm-tools by default, that should be good for VMWare users.
I don't know about open source implementations of guest tools for any
other hypervisors,  but if we can find some that have good enough
quality (and won't clash with other guest tools such as the spice one)
and have no legal issues I see no reason why we wouldn't want to
include them.

Keep in mind that if the guest tools / drivers you want require
out-of-tree kernel modules it'd be problematic to include them in
Fedora even if they are appropriately licensed.

--
-Elad Alfassa.