Fedora Workstation and GNOME Classic Session

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 4 20:40:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 14:47 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> I noticed something today while testing out Workstation. We're
>> actually installing both GNOME 3 and GNOME Classic Session on a
>> default install of Fedora Workstation.
>>
>> I realize I may be inviting a flamewar here (and for that, I
>> apologize), but I think that this should be relegated to a non-default
>> option (perhaps as an optional environment group that can be selected
>> in the installer) rather than available by default on all Workstation
>> installs.
>>
>> I look to the Workstation WG for an opinion on the matter.
>
> I think it's fine for GNOME Classic to be installed by default (of
> course not as the default session). It's just a few shell extensions, so
> it shouldn't take up much space and wouldn't make sense as an extra
> environment group. I think the UI for choosing between different desktop
> sessions is sufficiently simple that this won't be very confusing to
> users, and it would make Fedora Workstation more appealing to users who
> prefer a more traditional environment.

I tend to agree.  Workstation isn't purely about a single desktop
design.  It's more about the collection of packages, services, and
APIs that developers can depend on.  If people are more comfortable
developing in a "classic" environment, that isn't going to really
change the APIs that are present.

josh