Some suggestions for Marketing notes for FW 21

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 15:26:43 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi everyone,
> Here are some draft notes I prepared to try to help our marketing team
> build up some release notes and press material on the Fedora Workstation
> release.
> Already sent it to the Working Group members, but I thought I send it out to
> these two
> lists for further review and suggestions.
>
> Christian
> --------------------
>
> Fedora Workstation Marketing
<snip>
> Improvements to the Terminal application
> We want to make sure developers have a great experience and we do know that a
> strong
> terminal application is a core part of that.  Due to this we have worked to
> integrate
> a set of new features in the terminal like support for transparent
> backgrounds, automatic
> title updates which will make identifying different terminals easier, allow
> you do easily
> toggle all system keybindings on and off in the terminal and in the GNOME
> desktop overview
> you can search for terminal running processes by name.

That last sentence's construct is horrible. I thought we could turn off system
keybindings from gnome-shell's overview, and then not.

<snip>
> HiDPI Support
> Technology never stands still and as a software developer you are used to
> using the best technology available.
> Which is why we have spent a lot of time and effort on making sure that we
> support the new
> generation of HiDPI displays well. Phoronix recently called our desktop the
> best of HiDPI.

Could we avoid mentioning Phoronix by name? It's not a website I'd like Fedora
Workstation to be associated with.

> Exciting roadmap
> This Fedora Workstaiton release is not the end, it is the beginning of a new

Workstation.

> era for Fedora on the desktop. We have an
> exciting roadmap lined up aiming to bring a range of exciting new
> technologies to the linux desktop like containers,
> smarter virtual machines, better development tools, more web integration and
> so on. So if you want to be part of the
> future of the linux desktop be sure to get on board now!

I'd say:
Shorter sentences, more commas, and more bullet points.

The GNOME release notes and the OSX feature lists on Apple's website are good examples
of how to list features without overwhelming users:
https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.12/
http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

Cheers