The upgrade story

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Sep 15 01:59:34 UTC 2014

On Sep 14, 2014, at 6:28 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 17:38 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Seems a bit late for a GUI app if there isn't one already in progress.
>
> Yes, but this doesn't have to be ready for the release of F21. Ideally
> we would come up with something prior to the release of F22, though.
> Command-line upgrades are a terrible user experience.

It's not a warm fuzzy, but as a biased mainly OS X user I don't find fedup to be a terrible UI/UX. It's just non-obvious. I'm not invited or encouraged to do the upgrade. I'm the sole initiator.

So if it were to appear in Software, this is kind of a new thing. How does the whole mirroring thing come into play, and what delays are there in this package appearing in Software? Can it be triggered pretty much dead nuts on release day? Or are we talking about it maybe appearing before release day? Or a week after release day?

> On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 17:38 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> The user doesn't get an obvious "next step" until they restart and see
>> the "fedup" option in the GRUB menu
>
> I think we should not show the GRUB menu at all during upgrades.

You won't get an argument from me. My recollection is the GRUB menu was hidden up until Fedora (hand waive) 15/16 when we moved to GRUB2.

Is there a way for the "Fedora Upgrade package" to communicate to Software (and other desktop package installers) that this particular package type needs to be presented in a unique way? Making it more obvious this isn't the typical update?

Chris Murphy