Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 16:18:34 UTC 2014

On 09/12/2014 06:06 AM, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> If we don't install libreoffice by default we'd save around ~500MB (of
> libreoffice itself and it's various java dependencies) from the live
> media.
> This means less strain on mirrors, and that people will get their
> media faster (even if you have a really fast connection - smaller
> downloads finish sooner).
>
> Also, since we have an application installer these days, people who
> need an office suite can easily install it.

The ease of finding and installing an office suite when there isn't one
installed by default would be something that would make a great user
test scenario before yanking libreoffice.

Both the scenarios of opening an exisiting file, and trying to create a
document -- some of the things to consider could be:
* what people search for -- (do all users use "Word Processor", or just
"Word")
* if they search for a word processor in Software, does LO show up as a
"best bet" or do other applications like abiword or calligra show up? --
a default here may help the user because they are getting the software
that may be considered "the best"

cheers,
ryanlerch