F21 Workstation System Requirements - recommended resolution

Richard Turner rjt at zygous.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 08:13:11 UTC 2014

On 17 September 2014 05:19, Adam Batkin <adam at batkin.net> wrote:

> On 09/16/2014 06:11 PM, Liam wrote:
>
>> On Sep 16, 2014 8:53 AM, "Bastien Nocera" <bnocera at redhat.com
>> <mailto:bnocera at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>  > Did you read this?
>>  >
>> http://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2014/08/27/gnome-design-
>> saving-you-space-since-2009-or-so/
>>  >
>> Just because it is better than it was doesn't mean there isn't more
>> extraneous space that could be trimmed.
>>

> Exactly.
>
> Compare:
> http://i.imgur.com/xYR9GxV.png
> vs
> http://i.imgur.com/SOKXmI4.png

This is actually Eclipse making a mess of applying the Adwaita theme.
Compare with gEdit's file browser: http://i.imgur.com/b52VXS2.png

IntelliJ's file browser is certainly more dense, but arguably less
attractive, (note, I did drop GNOME's font size down to 9 for this
screenie, because that's closer to the font size that IntelliJ uses, since
it ignores GNOME's setting): http://i.imgur.com/VqqH7Gd.png

This all boils down to a matter of taste; no one theme will satisfy
everybody, but that's why the toolkit can be themed. If Adwaita's use of
white-space isn't to your liking you can always choose a different theme
that suits your tastes better.

Cheers,

"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."