Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 05:50:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Caolán McNamara  wrote:
>>

>> Because we could probably get rid of those requires if we need to. We
>> removed and converted a lot of stuff away from java since the time the
>> original requires were added, though it is convenient from the
>> perspective of supporting manually added extensions to know that java is
>> installed. I guess we're already compromised in the sense that we now
>> only know for sure that at least the headless variant is installed.
>

> Yes, I think dropping the requires is a useful thing.  A release note must
> be added as a warning for users installing third party extensions that may
> still rely on Java

Well when someone installs a third party extension and have no java
would libreoffice tell him to install java?
If not things will just fail without an obvious reason making our
product looks bad. So I disagree on it being a useful thing. We don't
have to save every single megabyte no matter what.
And no a release notes entry is not enough.