Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

Richard Turner rjt at zygous.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 13:17:49 UTC 2014

On 19 September 2014 13:22, Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz at redhat.com> wrote:
> There are products like Android Studio that don't support
> OpenJDK and in such scenario you end up installing both Java but using
> only one. That leads to maintenance overhead.

Indeed, JetBrains IntelliJ doesn't support OpenJDK either, so with
LibreOffice installed one ends-up with two versions of Java required, and
having to go through the hassle of configuring alternatives. It would be
nice if there was some mechanism to use Oracle's JDK to satisfy package
dependencies if one has chosen to install it so that OpenJDK could be
removed.

Oracle's JDK (the full JDK - not just the JRE) weighs in at just shy of
300Mb.

--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."