Summary of Reddit thread

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 14:34:37 UTC 2015

Jaroslav Reznik píše v Út 07. 04. 2015 v 06:13 -0400:
> [...]

They were not even cheap laptops, mostly gaming laptops with all the
"cool" stuff such as dual graphics cards.
I think the hardware support is the biggest PITA in case of Workstation.
When I had a talk on Workstation at OSS Weekend in Bratislava in March
and asked the audience what was their biggest struggle with Linux
desktop, they mostly replied graphics drivers and support for dual
graphics cards.

It'd be cool to have out-of-the-box multimedia support, but I don't
think it's such a big problem for our audience to enable it themselves.
But if you have a newer nVidia card and you want to run Fedora you're
screwed because there is no easy way around. Fedora works really really
bad with the proprietary driver and nouveau is far behind.
The same applies to hardware support regressions within the same
release. For example an audio output on my docking station stopped
working after updating to kernel 3.19 last week. Those are problems that
really annoy people. Enabling a repo and install a couple of packages is
a piece of cake compared to it.

Jiri