Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 15:29:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 06:45 -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> [...]

I don't think this is part of my ideal graphical upgrade experience,
tbh. It is basically a collection of workarounds for all the places
where upgrade doesn't work.

If we want to discuss better approaches to upgrading a system, here is
an alternative design: https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Migration The
premise there is that it is much better to do a selective
export/import of your important data, and do a fresh install, instead
of trying to manage all the ways in which a huge, system-wide upgrade
can fail. Of course, this is quite different from what fedup is doing
today, and we don't have any code for this.