Graphical Distribution Upgrades

kendell clark coffeekingms at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 09:03:46 UTC 2015

hi
I'll second this. I'm relatively new to the fedora community, so I
don't know whether fedora's primary audience is developers or not.
That being said, I'm not one, and I like user friendly, although I can
run terminal commands when needed or if I want to. That being said,
since gnome is moving towards user friendly everything, software
management, eventually uefi firmware upgrades, it makes sense to
handle distro upgrades as well, and if possible in a distro agnostic
way if at all possible. Of course, since fedora is a very large
contributor to gnome it seems only fair that it be the first to be
able to be upgraded graphically. I would though, provide a big warning
text before attempting to upgrade the distro graphically. If the user
has 3rd party repositories that are unknown to fedora, such as the
ever popular rpmfusion, any graphical upgrade method is likely not to
be able to upgrade those cleanly, if at all, so either the user will
have to disable them manually or the upgrader could do it, and either
re-enable them upon reboot or tell the user to do it.
Thanks
Kendell clark
Sent from Fedora GNU/Linux