Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Apr 8 13:42:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 09:52 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Is this really a good use of development resources?  I mean,
> really—if
> developers are the primary user group, is it unreasonable to expect
> that they will use a shell once or twice per year to perform the
> upgrades?

Even if we only cared about developers, I would say that I do not
expect developers to use the terminal or to know that fedup exists.
But this is the beginning of the PRD we agreed on:

"We want to create a stable, integrated, polished and user friendly
system that can appeal to a wide general audience. The Fedora
Workstation working group will have a special focus on providing a
platform for development of various types of applications."

Developers are a "special focus" and that warrants making some
decisions that we wouldn't otherwise, e.g. I'm interested in
installing more command-line development tools like gcc by default.
But it would be a mistake to take this so far that we compromise user-
friendliness or our appeal to a "wide, general audience." That's one
of the reasons that developers are using Macs instead of Fedora, after
all.

Michael