Graphical Distribution Upgrades

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Apr 10 00:54:23 UTC 2015

Another challenge, tangential from upgrades: hybrid graphics. Apple's
been doing this for 5+ years, with completely seamless switching
between integrated and discrete graphics. More recently it's
increasing in popularity among even mid-range non-Apple hardware.

And the kernel honestly doesn't do well here, it often gets the
switching confused, and as far as I know there's no on-the-fly
switching based on usage. The plus for the user is integrated graphics
for better battery life, and discrete graphics for heavy lifting
software and when running on a power adapter - best of both.

Maybe the seamless switching becomes possible with Wayland? But the
intermittent confusion before x even starts is presumably kernel
confusion (and regressions). I'm not sure what the solution is, but
it's understandable users will pick the path of least resistance. That
doesn't mean Fedora itself is doing something wrong that it can
obviously correct.

--
Chris Murphy