Instant Messaging in Fedora Workstation

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:24:25 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Allan Day <allanpday at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
>> This isn't true: neither control-center nor gnome-shell depends on
>> Empathy in Fedora 22 (in fact, not a single package on my computer
>> does).
>
> According to jhbuild, both the shell and online accounts depend on
> telepathy-glib. And even if these aren't strict dependencies, there is
> integration...

Empathy is basically a graphical front end for the telepathy
communications [1] stack which is made up of a number of components
which in turn provide XMPP/link-local/pidgin frontend etc.

Is the plan to just reimplement the front end UX and keep the backends
and hence not have to reimplement a chunk of the various integration
points or to reimplement the while lot, presumably there could be
OTR/Telegram integrated with that stack?

[1] https://wiki.freedesktop.org/telepathy/