Instant Messaging in Fedora Workstation

Luya Tshimbalanga luya at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 26 18:47:40 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 09:55 AM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Hi,
> Empathy, which is our default IM client, has been dead upstream for some
> time, so I'd like to start a discussion about what instant messaging
> experience should look like in Fedora Workstation.
>
> I've already written two blog posts about it. The goal of the first one
> was to describe the situation and collect input from users:
> https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/instant-messaging-in-fedora-workstation/
>
> The second one already works with user feedback from two surveys:
> https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/instant-messaging-in-fedora-workstation-2/
>
> It pretty much comes down to a question if we want to build a well
> integrated multi-protocol client (continuing with Empathy/Pidgin, or
> starting GNOME Chat) or if we should give it up and embrace all those
> popular, unfortunately mostly closed services (Skype, Messenger,
> Hangouts, Telegram...) and make them as integrated in the desktop as
> possible. The latter would probably clash a bit with one of our 4
> foundation - freedom.
>
> Jiri

From what I understand in this discussion, telepathy is basically the
engine to support apps for IM and Empathy is merely a frontend. About
the desktop integration, Gnome already have
extensions(extensions.gnome.org)  meaning someone could simply write
them for the above listed i.e. from Skype to Telegram. Essentially,
tools are already available for better integration but are often left
rotten. Why not rewriting say Empathy to support these extensions?

What is also needed are proper documentations which is arguably one of
Gnome weakness so improvement needs to be done. Those are ideas coming
in mind.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer