Call for agenda for Workstation WG meeting 2015-Aug-05

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 15:35:40 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 10:57:49AM -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > Are these an important target for Workstation, or is it best to leave
> > > that to Remixes like Fedlet?
> > > <https://www.happyassassin.net/fedlet-a-fedora-remix-for-bay-trail-tablets/>
> > It's important for workstation, because:
> > - we can deploy the same applications we do on workstation
>
> Can you expand on that point?

It's a useful form factor to create kiosk type applications, at least, and
because it's a SoC, it's a sign of things to come, in terms of hardware, for the
whole of the x86 platform:
- MMC/SDIO connected devices
- GPIO connected devices
- MIPI webcams

> > - they're an inexpensive way to get touchscreens, and sensors in the hands
> >   of our users and developers
>
> Moderately useful, but is it a priority _over_ everything else here?

We need touchscreen support because that's where laptops are heading. We need
sensor support, because we want to be able to use those sensors to make
power savings, and make the devices more useful in general.

> > - Fedlet can't support Secure Boot
>
> I think it can; it's just more of a pain. Someone would need to pay
> $99, once. And if Fedlet used the stock Fedora kernel, it would just
> work, right?

No, because the 32-bit bootloader isn't signed, because we don't support
booting a 32-bit OS with a 32-bit UEFI. If we had EFI mixed support, we'd
sign the 32-bit shim and grub and boot the 64-bit kernel (already signed).

So, I wish we could prioritise getting EFI mixed support working, so that the
only 2 packages we need to ship as i686 packages are grub and shim.