Repeat post

Andrew Walton andrewfixcomputer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 08:24:38 UTC 2015

On 08/08/15 17:38, kendell clark wrote:

> hi
> This is maybe a stupid question, but why have we not made it possible
> to configure this? At least some of it. While I'm on the subject of
> configurability, this is probably a totally different subject, but why
> haven't we moved some or most of the items that currently reside in
> gnome tweak tool into the control center? The more important thing is
> software, but just curious since I just thought about it.
> Thanks
> Kendell clark

It used to be there but it didn't work. I must admit I lost control and
embarrassed myself on an independent forum at the time because the
option was there but it didn't work. When people complained the quick
and easy answer was to remove the option. Fedora 16 Verne. Still got a
copy of that wallpaper somewhere, loved it.

If someone decides to try and reinstate that option it's going to need a
little checking, and although I'm not very technologically advanced I
think I might know where people keep skipping past the problem.

Quite a few people have told me that packagekit doesn't do it's own
downloads but here's a quick experiment you can try that says this is
not entirely accurate.

Clean install of Fedora 21
# yum install yumex
Open yumex, (I make too many "Fat Finger" errors to use command line
with confidence)
Uninstall gnome-packagekit and gnomesoftware-installer
Reboot and watch your internet connection be useless until 'something'
has it's 26 Mb

When you're ready
# systemctl disable packagekitd
Reboot, no more download.