Let's reconsider some more applications installed by default

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Aug 29 21:38:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 2:13 AM, Nikos Roussos
<comzeradd at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>>  it doesn't support many newer web platform APIs,
>>
>>Again, we support a comparable set of features to Safari; I don't think
>>this is really a problem.
>
> Having a standard for our default browser as low as Safari is not a good starting point. Safari has so terrible support for many web APIs and HTML5 elements, that it's considered the new IE6 by many web developers. If Epiphany has same level of problems we shouldn't even consider making it our default browser.

It's an interesting split between desktop and mobile, where on desktop
Safari is < 1% and is basically dead; meanwhile on mobile it's
overwhelmingly the most commonly used browser, by almost twice that of
Chrome. But this is somewhat misleading because there's no way on iOS
to change the default browser, and it still uses Apple provided
rendering engine so browsers on iOS are something of a wrapper. But
aside from the lack of choice issue, it means the mobile market share
for Safari (WebKit2) is higher than the stats really show.

--
Chris Murphy