Let's reconsider some more applications installed by default

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Aug 29 23:12:42 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-08-29 at 15:45 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> It's a good point. I don't use Safari for many reasons, but since I
>> can't use it on Android I couldn't sync between desktop and mobile
>> and
>> that's totally disqualifying these days.
>
> FWIW we're open to build-in support for:
>
> * Firefox Sync
> * OwnCloud
>
> But the bookmark management system has to be rewritten first. It's
> definitely not on my to-do list. :(

Sure but both Firefox and Chrome have sync on desktop and mobile
already, and i686 is out the door so the responsiveness of the leaner
Web (wikipedia says it's renamed from Epiphany a few years ago) is
less of a factor going forward, and then also developers sound at best
tepid on Web vs Firefox.

Apple once had quite the rigorous HIG as well, but Safari was the
first to totally bust through that and never looked back, nor did the
HIG get updated to include Safari in the OS X UI. Point is, there's
ample precedent for non-integration, and not eating one's own dog
food.

If it weren't for the developer emphasis of Workstation, I'd be a
little more ambivalent about Web by default. And also what's the
future of WebKit2 with Web? It seems like Blink is more relevant going
forward.

--
Chris Murphy