Third party repos

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 18:15:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 10:30 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> (The following statement is my interpretation, not the official
> position of the Council):
> I think that what this means is that they did not want us shipping
> /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo (enabled *or* disabled), but
> that it's acceptable for GNOME Software to make it easier to acquire
> that repo file and enable/disable it.

The council hasn't said anything yet, since we haven't asked them.

We're not looking for interpretations of what the old board said a
year ago.

> For example, installing a default MIME-type handler for files ending
> in .repo that allows GNOME Software to be launched and prompt you to
> load it if you click on such a path in a web browser. I think that
> would be in line with both statements.

And we're also not looking for technical workarounds that don't solve
the user experience problem.

We really want to make it possible to have search in the application
installer tell you how to get the things you are searching for, with
appropriate advice on why you may not want to after all. So, we need
to convince the council to take a different position than the board
has  in the past.