Workstation WG Recap 2015-Jun-08

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:50:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 10:15:59AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
[...snip...]
> ===============================
> #fedora-meeting: Workstation WG
> ===============================

[...snip...]
>   * IDEA: Add to PRD: A set of important third party apps are
>     installable -- (tested/verified before Beta)  (stickster, 13:23:45)

This might have been unclearly worded.  I wanted to point out
specifically that we discussed two aspects here:

(1) independent IDEs like PyCharm, IntelliJ IDEA, and Android Studio,
which may already (or could) exist in COPRs

(2) the WG could test for ABI support of a small set of non-shipped or
non-shippable apps, to make sure interested users could install on
their own later and have the apps work

We need to figure out: (1) what list of apps we want to support in
this way, and (2) how we want to trigger said testing in the
Workstation effort, since it seems illogical for QA to do it.

For (1), Matthias and Alberto started a list here:
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/DeveloperApps>

For (2), perhaps we could have a release criterion attached to
Workstation.  The criterion would note that testing would be the WG's
responsibility.  We'd want to establish, though, whether to block on
that criterion.