A feedback/confusion

Radek Holy rholy at redhat.com
Wed May 6 15:08:50 UTC 2015

Hi, I'm slowly working on a DAP for DevAssistant. I was asked to provide some feedback. Let me share some of my initial thoughts with you.

For me, the structure of DA's commands is really confusing. E.g. I wanted to fork and clone a GitHub project. I found out that there is a Github DAP. Let's use it. "da modify github --help", "da modify github create --help". Hm, no, this is not for me. OK, there is a Git DAP. No, it provides no "command". OK, let's look at all the DA's commands, maybe I'll find what I'm looking for. "da help". Well, I want to create a new project/fork and also I want to modify an existing project (it's a fork). "da create --help". What about "da create python --help". Hm, probably not. "da modify --help". Hm, nothing for me. What's remaining? "da prepare --help". But it's not going to be an upstream project! I just want to create a pull request. Anyway, "da prepare custom --help". BINGO!

Now, thinking about my DAP... It's going to test a pull request. As part of the tests I want to build its RPM using tito. Maybe I should extend the tito DAP and use it in my DAP. OK but what's the benefit of duplicating the tito's CLI in order to be able to call "da modify tito build --test --rpm" if I can do the same with just "tito build --test --rpm". Let's don't do that. Now, should I create a flexible common DAP for testing any project with the ability to define in a project's .devassistant file how the given project should be tested? But looking at the current DAPs it seems that I should rather create a project specific DAP even at the risk that there are multiple projects that are tested the same way.

But maybe I'm just lazy to think and it's clear to others.
--
Radek HolĂ˝
Associate Software Engineer