Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 17:43:02 UTC 2013

As decided by FESCo on 2012-12-05 meeting, all proposed Features are required
to pass through the community review by announcing them on devel-announce list.
FESCo votes on new features no sooner than a week from the announcement.

= Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB

* Detailed description:
MariaDB is a fork of the MySQL database project that provides a drop-in
replacement for MySQL. It preserves API/ABI compatibility with MySQL and
adds some new features.

The original company behind MySQL, MySQL AB, were bought out by Sun which was
then bought by Oracle. Recent changes made by Oracle indicate they are moving
the MySQL project to be more closed. They are no longer publishing any useful
information about security issues (CVEs), and they are not providing complete
regression tests any more, and a very large fraction of the mysql bug database
is now not public.

MariaDB, which was founded by some of the original MySQL developers, has a more
open-source attitude and an active community. We have found them to be much
easier to work with, especially in regards to security matters.

We would like to replace MySQL with MariaDB in early development cycle for
Fedora 19. MySQL will continue to be available for at least one release, but
MariaDB will become the default. Also, we do not intend to support concurrent
installation of both packages on the same machine; pick one or the other.