System V to systemd unit migration

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Oct 28 19:47:17 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-10-28 at 14:12 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> At the FESCo meeting on October 14th, it was decided that the time
> has come to finally complete the migration away from System V init
> scripts. What does this mean for you as a packager?
>
> When we branch from Rawhide for Fedora 24 (currently scheduled for
> February 2nd, 2016), we will be immediately retiring any package in
> the Fedora collection that relies on a System V init script instead of
> a systemd unit file to start. We will consider reasonable requests to
> delay this action on a case-by-case basis for anyone who submits a
> ticket to FESCo no later than 23:59 UTC on January 12, 2016.

As a quick audit (based on 'grep _initrddir' and 'grep _initddir' over
a fairly recent checkout of the spec files in pkg git, and then some
manual inspection) I think the following packages will be affected:

athcool
bdii *
ceph *
cfengine
clement
dahdi-tools
dhcp_probe
dpm-dsi *
fts *
globus-gatekeeper *
globus-gridftp-server *
globus-scheduler-event-generator *
greylistd
imagefactory *
ip-sentinel
mysql-proxy *
ncid
nessus-core
nightview *
noip
nordugrid-arc *
nxtvepg
openscada
opentracker
orbited
Perlbal
perl-mogilefs-server
pnp4nagios *
popfile
psad
qpid-qmf *
RabbIT *
ris-linux
root *
roundup
sagator *
ser
sigul
smstools *
sys_basher *
tabled
tetrinetx
tmda
ulogd
vmpsd
voms *
Vuurmuur
vzctl
xtide
yum-utils *

At least ceph appears to have systemd support upstream already,
possibly others do too.  At least yum-utils only needs sysvinit scripts
for one particular subpackage.  Packages with a * are also built in
either RHEL7 or EPEL7.

Also, pdsh and w3c-markup-validator are calling sysinit-style "reload"
commands in scriptlets, so probably that's already broken.

- ajax