building packages for FC2 for external kernel modules

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon May 24 19:19:23 UTC 2004

On May 24, 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>> > - Anyone know why FC2 module versioning is turned off ? AFAIK the build
>> > setup we've come up with would take symbol versioning into account
>> > correctly if it were turned on.
>>
>> in 2.6 it makes it really hard to build external modules with

> How so ? Seems to work fine.

If you want to build modules for both i586 and i686, it's a pain,
unless you're willing to have two different build roots, one with the
i586 kernel, and one with the i686 kernel.  smp kernels can be
installed alongside with UP kernels, since they report a different
string from the UP ones with `uname -r', but there's no way to
distinguish i586 from i686.

I suggested to Arjan to add .i586 and .i686 tags to the kernel version
string, similar to smp, but he said he was disgusted at the idea.
That's too bad, because it would greatly simplify building kernel
modules :-(

Maybe doing that only for non-i686 kernels would make it more
palatable?