vte for FC3/FC4 testing
warren at togami.com
Tue Mar 8 10:35:50 UTC 2005
Seeing that nobody at RH changed vte since November 2004, I went ahead
and made this test package. Since changes to vte are usually quite
sensitive I am testing it out-of-tree first. If you are annoyed by the
glacial slowness of FC3 gnome-terminal, try the below packages.
* Mon Mar 07 2005 Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> 0.11.12-1
- upgrade to 0.11.12
- remove upstreamed patches (0-2, 5-9)
- disable patch3, either not needed anymore, or needs rewriting
- reverse patch4, because upstream merged its horrible brokenness
- test Novell's excessive malloc for new terminals patch v3
Some TODO items...
1) Test the above packages. Is it any worse in rendering stuff than the
previous FC3 or FC4 vte? I hope to push something similar to FC3
updates and FC4 soon.
2) It seems that upstream made a new vte-0.11.12 release with most of
Fedora's patches + more stuff. This is good.
Unfortunately they also merged Patch4:
vte-0.11.11-fix-update-order.patch which was commented out since late
October since it totally screwed up rendering . This is bad. Makes
me wonder if they actually TESTED 0.11.12 before releasing it upstream...
So anyway all I did was uncomment the patch4 and add -R to reverse it,
and it seems to be working fine. I totally don't know anything about
GNOME upstream development, so it would be great if someone could make
sure this is reversed upstream too.
3) Patch3: vte-0.11.11-vertical-scroll-ctrl-seq.patch clashes in this
new version. It seems that part of it was introduced in the new
upstream version. For now I commented it out. Can someone figure out
if this patch is no longer needed, or needs to be rewritten?
wtogami at redhat.com
 Run gnome-terminal, type ls, hit ENTER a few times. What should be
the bash prompt turned into a black bar. You'll see lots of similar
rendering trouble while building something too... like vte.
More information about the devel