OpenType .otf fonts and printing

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 10 11:32:07 UTC 2005

Type 1 outline OpenType fonts work very well through fontconfig, but it
seems that they do not print. Evolution will just leave the space blank,
Firefox will substitute (seems to pick a generic font - IE my monospace
sans-serif font is substituted with a variable serif font when firefox
prints).

AbiWord won't even load the font (apparently intentionally) so that you
don't pick a font you can't print.

Virtually all Adobe fonts are now only available in this format, and
many other foundries are at least headed that direction (though often
makey type1 and/or ttf available as well).

I can use fontforge to change them to a format that does print (though
I'm not sure if the licenses that forbid decompiling would like that) so
its not a huge issue, but I'm curious as to what work (if any) is going
on in the Fedora/Gnome world to bring proper type1 otf printing support
to Fedora.

The ttf outline opentype fonts (which seem to have a .ttf extension)
such as Palatino Linotype seem to work just fine. It's only the .otf
fonts that don't print (but look absolutely gorgeous on screen).