Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Aug 3 20:36:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 16:23:36 -0400
Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:09:13 -0500
> Josh Boyer <jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm not particularly in favor of a timeout either.
>
> Well, what about a timeout once it starts failing to compile?  Or a
> timeout once the maintainer is no longer interested in maintaining it
> (orphan a part of the kernel...)

There is a difference in having an arbitrary timeout because something
didn't get upstreamed and having a module be orphaned.  If the
maintainer is still fighting to get it upstream and it hasn't happened
yet, I see no reason to arbitrarily tell them "too bad, you didn't meet
the timeout."

However, the more I think about this the more I'm of the opinion that
they have no place in kmods or in the kernel proper.  Maybe pointing
people to DKMS is a sufficient solution.  If users want these modules
that bad, they'll be willing to install the toolchain to build them.
Dunno, haven't really decided yet.

josh