should readahead allow generic paths?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 07:14:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 15:14 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 09:34:05AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
>  > Is there any chance we can use Jens Axboes "fcache"?
>  > Info e.g. at:
>  > http://en.opensuse.org/Fcache-howto
>
> That really needs to get into the upstream kernel before I'm comfortable
> enabling it in Fedora.

But nobody seems to be interested at all in it, not upstream, nor
everyone working on hacks like preload. I just think that is strange.

> ext3's block allocation policy seems a little.. suboptimal in some cases.
> It doesn't seem particularly difficult to end up with fragmented files,
> especially with large ones.

Maybe one could do the allocation manually for the fcache a file and
then mark the blocks so they won't be moved? This can be done at install
time and doesn't need generic extents support.