very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 06:57:43 UTC 2008

Chris Snook wrote:
> It also makes it much more difficult to troubleshoot those subsystems or
> work around their quirks.  I wouldn't have a problem with ext3, jbd, or
> dm_* being built-in, but anything that deals with hardware should really
> be modular.  Of course, that wipes out most of your list.
>
> I'd really rather focus on optimizing modprobe than sacrificing the many
> benefits of modularity for a very small performance boost.
>
> -- Chris

39 seconds normal boot time on my system with modprobe of all modules.

Now a measurement without modprobe:

# mkinitrd -f  $(/sbin/lsmod |while read a b; do echo --preload $a;done|fgrep -v Module) /boot/initrd-$(uname
-r).img $(uname -r)

initrd now loads all used modules and we can disable modprobe:

# mv /etc/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules.bak

Now the boot time is 36 seconds.

So, you can shave off a maximum of 3s with modprobe optimization on my system. Also a "small" performance boost.