autofs not installed by default

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Dec 17 15:09:07 UTC 2009

Todd Volkert (tvolkert at gmail.com) said:
> The past few Fedora installs, I've specified a NIS server during the
> Anaconda installation so I don't have to create any local user accounts.
>  However, once installation is complete, I can't log into any NIS accounts
> because autofs insn't installed, causing the user accounts' home folders to
> not be mounted.  I have to sign in as root, install autofs, then all is
> well.

How have you set up a NIS server as part of the install? It's not part
of the anaconda configuration screens.

> My question is: shouldn't autofs be installed by default, as part of the
> base installation?

For many use cases in Fedora, it's not needed; we're trying to keep the
core/base groups reasonably small.

If you use kickstart, you can both set up NIS and install autofs with
directives in your kickstart file.

Bill