Source URL guidelines (was Re: source file audit - 2009-02-15)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 16:37:31 UTC 2009

Tom Lane wrote:
> I notice that an exception has been made for sourceforge,net,
> without explaining why; but of course the reason why is that they like
> to throw random mirror names into the actual URL.

Note: Sourcforge does not have an exception.  The Sourceforge entry is
an explanation of what to put in the Sourceforge URL to make it not go
to random mirors in the URL.

There certainly seems to be room for more guidance on what to do when
there's not a good direct URL to the upstream tarball.  I have been
recommending people basically use the exception for snaphots in cases
like this without realizing it wasn't written down.

So something like:

"""
== Troublesome URLs ==

When upstream has URLs for the download that do not end with the tarball
name rpm will be unable to parse the tarball out of the source URL.  In
these cases, you have to put just the tarball's filename into the
Source: field.  To make clear where you got the tarball, you should
leave notes in comments above the Source: line to explain the situation
to reviewers and future packagers.  Example:

  # Mysql has a mirror redirector for its downloads
  # You can get this tarball by following a link from:
  # http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html
  Source0: mysql-5.1.31.tar.gz
"""

I don't currently have any packages with this issue, so please feel free
to edit this draft if you have some changes that you think are more
sensible:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Troublesome source URLs

-Toshio

-Toshio