FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat May 2 16:53:09 UTC 2009

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> We worked on the new gnome-volume-control because pavucontrol is a "show
> all the options underneath" program, just like the ALSA mixers were.
>
> We wrote use cases, we checked what other systems did, and we intend to
> present something to the user that's less complicated than showing up
> all the knobs PulseAudio offers.

Translation:

"We worked on the new gnome-volume-control because pavucontrol has too many
features and we hate powerful applications.

So we wrote down the simplest use cases we could come up with in a short
brainstorming session and decided to remove all the useful features we
didn't think of, not asking for any actual user input, and we intend to
present a crippled user interface only showing that simplistic subset of
features."

And then you're surprised clichés about GNOME working exactly that way
circulate?

        Kevin Kofler