Looking for testers: RPM 4.8 pre-release snapshots available

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 08:05:10 UTC 2009

It's that time of year again... we're planning on getting a brand new RPM
version into Fedora 13. While the feature submission is being processed
and public beta being prepared, we'd like to get some extra testing of the
new RPM to catch out any remaining wrinkles our own testing hasn't caught.

So this is a call for brave testers who eat rawhide for breakfast, to try
out pre-release snapshot(s) of the oncoming RPM release. This is not
supposed to eat your system alive or anything - I've used snapshots from
rpm.org HEAD on my systems througout the development process without
problems but you never know... so proceed with appropriate caution.

For an idea what to expect, see the draft release notes at
http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.8.0

You can find Fedora compatible "snapshots of the day" source rpms from
http://laiskiainen.org/rpm/srpms/ (use the latest you can find). These
should be buildable on and compatible with F11, 12 and rawhide.

Please report any oddities found, preferably to rpm.org Trac
at http://rpm.org/newticket but mail will do too.

 	- Panu -