vga_switcharoo

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Fri Apr 9 13:42:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 20:40 -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 08:56 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > nouveau has powered down the nvidia if it's not in use for some time
> > now.
> >

>  Ah that is good news ... which kernel are we speaking about here and
> are you saying this will happen even without vga_switcharoo ?

Pretty sure this was in F12.  And yes, doesn't depend on the switcher
code at all.

> Do I assume then when I install f12 (f12?) that the intel wins the race
> to fedora's display heart and nvidia will be powered down ... and
> ignored from then on?

Depends on your laptop.  There seem to be two major varieties.

One is where there's a BIOS option and you can pick.  Your options will
typically be "integrated" (where we'll pick intel), "discrete" (where
we'll pick nouveau), or "OS switchable" (where you'll see both in lspci,
but the intel one will be the one that powers up on boot, so we'll pick
that one and power down the nv chip).

The other is where there isn't a BIOS option, which acts like "OS
switchable".

- ajax