Heads up! Erlang package becomes modularized in Fedora.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Apr 11 09:27:03 UTC 2010

Le dimanche 11 avril 2010 à 10:06 +0400, Peter Lemenkov a écrit :
> Hello!
>
> 2010/4/10 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
>
> > So you are proposing a metapackage. Fedora has historically frowned at
> > metapackages, we prefer to create comps groups to bundle multiple
> > packages together.
>
> Sorry, but this looks like purely non-technical argument for me (I
> mean using verbs like "prefer", "frown" and so on).

If you want fancy arguments replace it with "consistency". I don't
believe comps is dramatically better than metapackages (or the contrary)
but comps is the Fedora choice and our distribution is comps-oriented,
and it does not help our users if some package islands start using
different conventions from the rest of the distro.

If you want the full technical analysis just search the list archives
for "metapackages" "comps" it has been debated multiple times in the
past (at least twice a year) and I havn't the energy to do it again now.

--
Nicolas Mailhot