What is varnish? (Was: Please test varnish-2.1.0-2 for F-13)

Ingvar Hagelund ingvar at redpill-linpro.com
Mon Apr 19 09:43:55 UTC 2010

I was asked to give a short description of what varnish is.

Varnish is a state of the art, high performance http accellerator. Think
squid in reverse caching mode, but powered by the dark side of the
force, on steroids*.

Varnish is Free Software, available under the BSD license.

Some highlights
- A modern design, using advanced features in Linux 2.6, FreeBSD 6/7
  and OpenSolaris
- A very flexible compiled configuration language
- Load balancing with health checking of backends
- Partial support for ESI
- URL rewriting
- Graceful handling of "dead" backends
- Live statistics and logging

Varnish is used to accellerate well-known sites like Slashdot, Wikia and
Twitter, to name a few.

More info at http://www.varnish-cache.org/

Please consider testing varnish-2.1.0-2.fc13 for F-13, see below.

Ingvar

*) Real life cases has shown one varnish instance out-performing a
cluster of 12 squid boxes.

* Ingvar Hagelund: