Shell commands like to OS/2 shell (or MS PowerShell)

Alexander Boström abo at root.snowtree.se
Tue Apr 20 14:56:01 UTC 2010

tis 2010-04-20 klockan 01:51 +0300 skrev Slava Zanko:

> For example, all present utilites have sence just for guru's (ls, rm,
> fsck etc), but for novies it's hard to use. Is good idea to symlink'ing
> (shell aliasing) these and much more utilz to another names?

The present utilities makes sense for gurus because they understand the
history behind them and why the utilities have become what they are. But
to create something that's easy for new users and that might be
attractive to those of us that already know our way around the shell it
wouldn't be enough to rename the commands. You'd need to dig deeper.

For example you still have lots of obscure switches and options to
consider. (Why is media.convert.video nothing at all like
media.convert.audio.ogg?) And you have fun things like string quoting,
forking processes, vectors (say, the difference between "$*" and "$@"),
$IFS, error handling (did you know about "set -e"?) and so on...

/Alexander