Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 07:50:31 UTC 2010

On 04/23/2010 01:12 PM, Martin Stransky wrote:
> On 04/23/2010 09:30 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> What is the exact definition of "really critical issues" here.  A
>> frequent crash seems a critical issue to me.
>
> - 0day vulnerabilities
> - critical crashes (like app fails to start for *everyone*, app
> crashes for *everyone* in five minutes after start)
> - fedora customization (build fixes)

It is really annoying that Mozilla is restricting fixes for fairly
serious issues via their trademark guidelines.  Their effort to protect
their brand has to balanced against downstream needs.  It is
unacceptable for them to tie down our hands if they are not going to do
a release soon.   It is very much possible that a bug might affect a
particular distribution only (even without patches) because of the rest
of the stack it is build against and Mozilla has to be responsive to all
that.

Rahul